A lovely versatile autumnal soup that can be dressed up or down according to your taste or the occasion. This recipe shows you the basic method of how to make a parsnip soup with a simple garnish of crispy bacon & parsley. Blended to a smooth velvety consistency with a splash of cream it is the perfect, indulgent dinner party starter. For a vegetarian option make with vegetable stock and garnish with a sprinkle of cumin powder.
1 Clove Garlic
2 x 500ml Chicken Stock
150ml Double Cream
50g Streaky Bacon
30g Unsalted Butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Melt the butter gently and cook the onion (sliced) without any colour until soft.
2. Add the garlic (sliced) and parsnip (peeled and diced) and stir into the onion for a couple of minutes.
3. Add the stock (pre-melted) and simmer gently until the parsnip is soft.
4. In the meantime, fry the bacon (finely chopped) until crispy and put to one side.
5. Season the soup lightly before carefully transferring to a jug blender, adding a little water if required. (A hand blender will work, but it won’t be as smooth)
6. Once blended transfer back to a clean pan to warm through, add the double cream and finish seasoning.
7. Serve garnished with crispy bacon and parsley.
Tip: Use white pepper instead of black pepper when seasoning.