Updated: Mar 4
This French classic is a real tasty midweek treat that the whole family will love!
(Serves 3 to 4)
500ml Pure Chicken Stock (defrosted gently in a pan)
6-8 Chicken Thighs (bone in)
200g Button Mushrooms (quartered)
150g Tinned tomatoes (chopped)
2 Shallots (finely diced)
2 Garlic Cloves (finely diced)
150ml Red Wine
20g Fresh Tarragon chopped (stalks separated)
20g Unsalted Butter
20ml Cooking Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil and half the butter in a pan. Lightly season the chicken and place skin side down. Pan fry until nicely coloured and turn over to seal. Remove and place onto a plate.
2. Add the rest of the butter to the pan then add the shallots. Gently fry for 5mins stirring continuously until soft.
3. Add the garlic followed by the mushrooms and continue cooking for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the red wine and reduce by half.
5. Tie the tarragon stalks only with a bit of string and add.
6. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil, add the tomatoes and place the chicken back into the pan.
7. Bring back up to the simmer and place lid (at an angle) and continue simmering for 45mins to 1 hour.
8. Remove the chicken from the sauce once cooked and keep hot.
9. Bring the sauce to the boil and reduce until a slightly thicker consistency. Add the chicken back in, add the fresh tarragon leaves. Season to taste and serve.