Cider, Mussel & Prawn Sauce
Updated: 3 days ago
This a naturally delicate sauce, fun to make and complements all flat and white fish.
500ml Pure Fish Stock
250ml Dry Cider
1 Medium Shallot (finely chopped)
30g Unsalted Butter
12 Fresh Mussels
100g Cooked Shell-on Prawns
100ml Double Cream
30g Flat Leaf Parsley (finely chopped)
1. Wash and clean the mussels in cold water.
2. Peel the prawns keeping the heads and shells to one side.
3. Put a pan onto a high heat, leave for 2 mins then add the washed mussels, 100ml of cider and 100ml of water. Cover and allow to cook 4-5 mins until all the mussels are open.
4. Drain the mussels and keep the cooking liquid. Remove from their shells and add to the liquid to keep moist.
5. Place the Pure Fish Stock in a pan and defrost on a low heat.
6. Melt half the butter in a pan and add the shallots. Cook until soft.
7. Add all the shells and heads from the peeled prawns, crush lightly to release any flavour and cook gently for a further 2 mins.
8. Add 150ml of cider and reduce by half.
9. Add the Pure Fish Stock and the mussel liquid (without the mussels) and reduce to about 200ml.
10. Pass the sauce through a sieve into a clean pan, squeezing out all the flavour.
11. Place the pan back onto a medium heat, add the cream, bring to a gentle simmer and cook to a good consistency (coats the back of a spoon.) Now stir in the remaining butter, this will give it a nice shine.
12. To finish - season lightly, pat the mussels and prawns gently with paper towel to dry then add to the sauce along with the parsley.
13. Serve with your fish of choice.